Thursday, June 5, 2014

Aspiration

There are lots of questions to ask and perhaps the first might be about the significance of 10,000,000. Before I go there, I need to explain a couple of other things. For instance, what am I talking about and why? That might be a good start. But I don't really want to go there. I kind of just want to just jump in. And elaborate along the way.

Feel free to ask questions.

My goal is to be as clear and as factual about the stem cell therapy trial in which I am about to be a participant, and the effects of this therapy. Not to go into too much history. That might be boring. I don't need to go through a lot of it again, so why should a reader? We will see where it all goes.

Back to the title of this post - Aspiration.

After months (really over two years) of waiting, on Friday May 30, I had approximately 20 ccs of bone marrow aspirated from my sternum. In basic descriptive terms, a hematologist/oncologist inserted a corkscrew-like tool into my chest, about 6" below the adam's apple, and sucked out the marrow.

After seeing a video of another trial participant's procedure and hearing the doctors explain what would happen, I expected a more painful, longer procedure. The reality was that the most uncomfortable part was the prick of the needle placing anesthetic in the area, and that the time lapsed from walking into the office to walking out of the office was 45,' tops. No pain and efficiency. Gotta love working with Doctors who know what they are doing in their own clinics, and not with residents in hospitals. I hate hospitals.

Almost one week later, there is a tiny scab and a wee bit of bruising that remains at the site. Initial soreness, achey-ness  that I compared to a massive bee sting on my chest was gone after three days. No side effects other than those resulting from traveling back and forth to the east coast, not exercising regularly for two weeks, and discomfort from the aforementioned ruptured ear drum.

I also have a mark on my arm from the site where they drew 40 vials of blood the day prior to aspiration.

That's it.

Seriously.

The only thing I did differently before and after the procedure was to eat bone broths the week before and days after to give my normally vegan diet an extra nutrient boost. And drink coconut water to rehydrate and have shooters of aloe vera juice to nourish the stem cells.

Honestly, the worst part of all this was the emotional trudging experienced while waiting for the day of aspiration. And more slogging is to come while waiting for the next steps to happen. Yippee. As most of you already know, I am not a very patient person. So all this waiting is BRUTAL.

Good thing I have some pretty darn cute, loving boys to support me on a daily basis, and some awesome friends and family members riding shot gun when they can. I am extremely thankful for that.